Supporting People with Learning Disabilities
Duration 1 day
This course develops delegates' understanding of learning disabilities allowing them to better support customers / service users. It provides an overview of effective communication when working with individuals with learning disabilities. By understanding and recognising some of the causes, understanding the types and appreciating the impact on individuals, delegates can support service users in a confident and competent way.
- Definitions of learning disabilities
- Causes and impacts on individuals
- Communicating with people with learning disabilities
- Living with learning disabilities
- How can we support someone who has learning disabilities
- Summary of key treatments and approaches
Methods of Delivery
This course encourages delegate participation through group discussion as well as individual input through subgroup and pair work. The trainer uses a range of facilitation and presentation techniques including PowerPoint, flipchart work and tutor-led discussion, and delegates retain a comprehensive training pack for future reference and further reading.
- Learning Objectives
- Training Considerations
- Related Courses
- To have a definition of learning disability and to understand the different uses of the term 'learning disabilities'.
- To place learning disabilities in a wider societal context and over time
- To understand how to effectively communicate with individuals with learning disabilities
- To better understand how individuals live with learning disabilities
- To separate the different types of learning disability and examine causes
- To have some tools for supporting individuals with learning disabilities
Anyone who supports or engages with people with learning disabilities, or may be required to in the future.
A willingness to engage in reviewing and re-examining one's understanding of what constitutes learning disabilities.
The delegates will receive a certificate of attendance upon completion of the course.