By the end of the course, delegates will
- have a definition of learning disability and understand the different uses of the term 'learning disabilities'.
- Understand the history and perception of services for people with learning disabilities
- have knowledge of current legislation, expectations and values of learning disability services, and know where to access information on the Mental Capacity Act 2005
- understand what is meant by person centred approaches and self directed support
- understand elements of and strategies for effective communication with people with learning disabilities
- have considered what constitutes a 'professional' approach and appropriate physical contact
Anyone who supports or engages with people with learning disabilities, or may be required to in the future.
The delegates will receive a certificate of attendance upon completion of the course.