Stress: Positive Management Strategies
Duration 1 day
This course for managing stress will discuss the definition of stress, the causes and symptoms of stress, ways to reduce and prevent stress, and the skills that enable the management of stress in ourselves and others. The aim of the course is to enable delegates to define the causes of stress in themselves and others, recognise both the symptoms and causes of stress, and to take effective action in order to prevent and manage stress and stressful situations.
Defining and Identifying Stress
- What is meant by stress - both positive and negative
- The impact of stress-related illness
- Types of stress; various causes of stress;
- How to recognise symptoms of stress in oneself and in others; identifying early warning signs
- Dealing with the causes of stress
- Considering responsibility for oneself and for others
- Distinguishing features of individuals who are vulnerable to stress; resilient in the face of stress
- Creating and maintaining a work environment that responds effectively to stress and stressful situations
- Managing others in ways that lessen and avoid causing stress
- Techniques for preventing personal stress
Dealing with Stress
- Managing and reducing stress
- Supporting colleagues who are experiencing stress
- Recognising when specialist help is needed
Methods of Delivery
This course is delivered by PowerPoint presentation; role-play exercises; case study analyses; group discussions; practical exercises; pair work and small-group work, comprehensive course handouts, resources for further reading and learning, and references.
- Learning Objectives
- Training Considerations
- Related Courses
- To define what is meant by the term stress
- To identify the causes of stress and learn to recognise the symptoms of stress in oneself and in others, including early warning signs
- To explore ways of preventing personal stress levels
- To develop strategies to manage stress resulting from general situations; from particular situations
- To practice and apply techniques for supporting team members and others who are experiencing stress
Delegates who need skills and strategies to better manage stress in themselves or others.
Delegates should consider their own experiences of stress and consider what personal and environmental factors may contribute to this, and also what strategies they consider work or do not work to alleviate stress.
The delegates will receive a certificate of attendance upon completion of the course.