Welfare Benefits Update - The Impact of Welfare Reform & Other Changes
Duration 1 day
The last three years have seen the most radical reform of the social security system since the Second World War. The context of the changes is welfare reform, with the overriding objective of reducing the spend on social security. This means that the great majority of the changes have and will be negative from the point of view of claimants. Many groups of people are affected, including tenants, disabled people, and working age people generally who need financial support because of low income.
This one day training course will cover recent changes already in place, as well as other major changes that are in the pipeline for 2017 and beyond. It will also include discussion of some of the implications of key case law developments over the last 12 months.
The training will cover the follow areas
- The nature and impact of the bedroom tax and recent case law developments
- The November 2016 Benefit cap changes - implications for tenants and landords
- Changes to HB and tax credits rules from April 2017, and case law update
- Personal Independence Payments - case law developments and how to use them
- Important case law affecting the Right to Reside rules for EEA nationals
- Universal Credit - summary of recent changes and the likely implimentation timetable
Methods of Delivery
The day is broken up into distinct sections, using powerpoint, group discussion and straightforward case studies.
- Learning Objectives
- Training Considerations
- Related Courses
- The emphasis will be to assist course participants to help minimise the negative impacts of these changes, and so protect the income and wellbeing of those affected.
- Increased confidence in understanding the changes introduced by Welfare Reform
- Understand the impact and opportunities the various changes and developments to maximise the welfare benefit income of your customers
Anyone who supports customers or clients who depend on social security. However, this course is not a basic training event, and will be of most help to those who already have a basic understanding of the social security system.
The delegates will receive a certificate of attendance upon completion of the course.
Basic Welfare Benefits - An Introduction
- Welfare Reform & Universal Credit