Moving & Handling of People
Duration 1 day
The course aims to introduce delegates to the principles and practice of moving and transferring of clients. With the practical content, it will increase awareness of possible injuries to themselves and enable them to carry out transfer operations safely.
Refreshment of this qualification is recommended annually.
- What is moving and handling?
- Anatomy of the spine
- Causes of back and shoulder injuries
- Unsafe moving and handling techniques
- Risk assessments
- Practical work involving use of the hoist, slide sheets, transfer belt, mobility board and other equipment to work involving moving and transferring of clients
Methods of Delivery
The trainer uses a variety of PowerPoint presentation, flipchart work, discussion and group work to ensure that all the course objectives are met. Where applicable and if the course involves practical training, practicing moving and handling techniques using equipment such a hoist and other moving and transferring equipment.
- Learning Objectives
- Training Considerations
- Related Courses
- Understand what moving and handling is and the importance of safe moving and handling
- Have some knowledge and awareness of the legislation around moving & handling
- Understand the basic anatomy of the spine
- Know about the common causes of back and shoulder injuries
- Be aware of unsafe moving and handling techniques
- Have an understanding of risk assessments involved with moving and handling
- Recognise safe back positions
- Delegates will be able to demonstrate the use of moving and transferring equipment
Anyone working within social care sector that has the responsibility of, and is involved in moving and handling
Attendees are required to have appropriate footwear (i.e. flat heeled, non-slip shoes) for the practical session. Delegates must inform of any injury, illness, physical impairment or pregnancy due to the mandatory practical elements of the course. Non-restrictive, comfortable and non-revealing clothing is also advised for safety, comfort and preservation of dignity.
The delegates will receive a certificate of attendance upon completion of the course.
Moving & Handling Half-Day Referesher
Health & Safety
Emergency First Aid at Work