Professional Boundaries & Good Practice
Duration 1 day
This one-day training for support staff considers the fundamental principles of good practice in the support setting, providing an opportunity to define and reflect upon essential yet often poorly understood themes such as the meaning and purpose of professional boundaries, whistle blowing and safeguarding, personal disclosure and confidentiality within the client-worker relationship. The course will serve as an excellent refresher as well as an essential introduction to meaning of good practice for new staff.
- Defining good practice and professionalism
- The 12 principles of social work practice
- The meaning and purpose of boundaries
- Principles of safeguarding and whistleblowing
- The pros and cons of personal disclosure
- Managing the client-worker relationship
- Confidentiality in practice
- Staff code of conduct
Methods of Delivery
The course is highly interactive and combines trainer presentations; PowerPoint and flipchart work with pairs work, small group work, large group discussions, exercises and quizzes.
- Learning Objectives
- Training Considerations
- Related Courses
- An understanding of what is meant by good practice and professionalism and how this applies in the support setting
- An exploration of the meaning and purpose of boundaries
- Knowledge and understanding of what it means to work within relevant codes of conduct and ethics
- An understanding of key responsibilities under safeguarding and whistle blowing and confidentiality procedures
- An exploration of the complex issues surrounding the personal disclosure and client-worker relationship
- To understand the risk management process
- To understand what is meant by positive risk and understand how to manage this effectively
- To explore different approaches to risk management
Both new and experienced support staff who will benefit from an opportunity to define and reflect on fundamental principles of professional boundaries and good practice.
Delegates should familiarise themselves with their organisation's whistleblowing, safeguarding, confidentiality and staff code of conduct policy documents.
The delegates will receive a certificate of attendance upon completion of the course.
Report Writing & Record Keeping