Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change (1 Day)
This one-day course introduces delegates to the basic theory and practical application of motivational interviewing, a person-centred, evidenced based approach to helping people change. Delegates will learn a useful model for understanding why people get 'stuck' in unhealthy behaviour patterns and often resist efforts to motivate them to change. The course goes on to introduce some basic skills in talking with people about change, helping people to uncover their own reasons to change and begin to take the necessary steps to make a start.
- What is motivational interviewing (MI)?
- Basic principles of the approach
- MI as a conversational style
- Key concepts of MI
- What is the righting reflex and why should I resist it?
- When to use, and when not to use the MI
- Why do people get stuck in damaging behaviours?
- MI's 4 processes model of the journey toward change - a road map for a journey of change
- MI and the cycle of change
- The spirit of MI - the heart and mind set of the approach
- The importance of the client-worker partnership
- Introduction to core skills
- DVD skills demonstration
- Basic strategies for encouraging change
- Practice skills sessions: using core skills
Methods of Delivery
This course utilises PowerPoint presentation and flip chart work as aids to the trainer's presentation. Delegates are encouraged to share their knowledge through group discussion, small group work and practical exercises. There will be a DVD skills demonstration.
- Learning Objectives
- Training Considerations
- Related Courses
- Describe the key principles of the MI approach
- Identify when MI might usefully be applied
- Describe some basic skills and strategies for helping people change
Individuals and volunteers who wish to increase their ability to recognise where a client may be on the cycle of change and to develop strategies to facilitate change, avoid conflict and to engage clients in treatment.
There are no pre-training requirements for this course.
A certificate of attendance will be provided upon completion of the course.
Motivational Interviewing: Skills and Strategies for Helping People to Change (2 days)