Makaton Level 1
This workshop is an initial course for people supporting children or adults with learning disabilities or communication difficulties. This course aims to help you to gain skills and knowledge in using signs and symbols from the Makaton vocabulary.
- Background and rationale to the Makaton core and resource vocabularies
- Makaton's place in the signing world
- Signing instruction for stages 1 and 2, and part of the additional stage
- Using Makaton in everyday life
- Revision of key principles of using the Makaton Vocabulary
Methods of Delivery
A range of methods will be used. These include: demonstration; recognition and recall practice of signs; paired and small group work; games. There will be some presentations from the trainer.
- Use some signs and symbols, with speech, from the initial stages of the Makaton Vocabulary (Stages 1,2 and part of the additional stage), with the children or adults that you work with who may benefit from using it
- Identify key features of the Makaton Vocabulary, what it is, why it may be useful
- Distinguish between Makaton and other means of communication such as British Sign Language and have discussed the overlap and the differences
- Identify ways to use the signs and symbols in everyday circumstances
- Learning Objectives
- Training Considerations
- Related Courses
Paid and unpaid carers and support workers with children or adults with learning disabilities; advocates; nursery workers; anyone whose work or life brings them into contact with people who may communicate with Makaton or who may benefit from doing so in the future.
Makaton Level 2