Introduction to Leadership & Management
This course aims to prepare delegates for their first management role. The course has been designed to impart the skills and knowledge required to better manage oneself whilst line-managing another member of staff or a team. Aimed at first time managers or as a refresher for existing managers, this course covers the basics for all managers, provides a framework and structure for managers to assess their developing skills and is intended to create confidence in what can be an extremely challenging role.
- The roles of a manager and a leader and the differences between them.
- Tranformational leadership and overview of other key leadership theories and styles.
- The importance of setting a clear vision.
- Evaluating a team's performance and development.
- The employment contract: what can a manager reasonably expect of a staff member and vice versa; what can each do if these expectations are not met?
- What's the difference between power, influence and authority? Using each and the consequences of getting it wrong.
- The performance management cycle.
- Using supervision to enhance performance.
- The role of the appraisal.
- Addressing performance issues; attitude, aptitude and ability.
- What can go wrong and what can you do about it.
Methods of Delivery
This course will use a variety of training methods including: tutor presentation, small group work, questionnaires, reflection and discussion.
- Learning Objectives
- Training Considerations
- Related Courses
- To understand the difference between management and leadership and the link between these and running a service/leading a team.
- How to evaluate a team's performance and the stages of team development.
- The role of the employment contract: the expectations of managers and of staff.
- The use and misuse of power, influence and authority.
- The performance management cycle and the role of supervision, appraisal and performance management plans in promoting performance.
Anyone new to a management or supervisor's role, and anyone aspiring to such a role.
Upon completion of the course, the delegates will receive a certificate of attendance.
Supervisory Skills for Team Leaders