Introduction to Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
The course looks at many different aspects of Autism from its definition right through to supporting those involved in working with people who have Autism. It addresses the causes of Autism and the various symptoms that are presented. It looks at Autism Spectrum Disorder and the differences between Autism and Asperger's Syndrome.
- History of Autism
- Causes, Symptoms and Risk Factors of Autism
- Problems with diagnosis
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- How does Asperger's differ from Autism
- Asperger's and Mental Health
- Techniques and therapies used to treat Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
- Principles on which services should be based and Support Systems
Methods of Delivery
This course encourages delegate participation through group discussion as well as individual input through subgroup and pair work. The trainer uses a range of facilitation and presentation techniques including PowerPoint, flip-chart work and tutor-led discussion, and delegates retain a comprehensive training pack for future reference and further reading.
- Learning Objectives
- Training Considerations
- Related Courses
- An understanding of Autism and Autism Spectrum Disorder
- A clear awareness of the different signs and symptoms that are associated with Autism
- An understanding of the differences between Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
- An understanding the tests used to diagnosis Autism and problems of diagnosis
- An understanding of some of the techniques and therapeutic approaches that are used treat Autism
- An awareness of the diagnostic criteria for Asperger's
Anyone who works with customers that have Autism or Asperger's Syndrome.
Delegates should submit details of their level of subject knowledge and case experience in the area to Central Training.
Upon completion of the course, the delegates will receive a certificate of attendance.
Autism: Understanding & Supporting