Principles of Positive Dementia Care
Duration 1 day
The course will help learners understand many of the difficulties experienced by people who have dementia and help develop appropriate skills including verbal and non-verbal communication. This course will help learners understand a range of possibilities to promote and maintain a quality of life for the service user for as long as possible within a framework of person-centred care and support.
The course is designed also to make reference to the Skills For Care knowledge set for dementia with links to NVQ (where still relevant), the QCF, Common Induction Standards and Skills For Care code of practice for social care workers.
The course reflects the main considerations outlined in the National Dementia Strategy to develop staff competencies in their respective work roles. The course also extends this to include reference to Living with Dementia (DoH 2009) and quality outcomes for people with dementia. The Common Core Principles outlined in the publication following the National Dementia Strategy will underpin this training. Reference will also be made to the DoH guidance around enabling risk 'Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained' 2010.
The course will also help workers to understand and embed the 'well-being' principles underpinning the new Care Act 2014.
- Defining, categorising and assessing dementia
- Drug treatments
- Risk management
- Personhood and wellbeing; person-centred holistic support
- Maintaining relationships
Methods of Delivery
This course is delivered using trainer presentation, worksheet exercises, group work, DVD, accompanied by handouts, and delegates are encouraged to contribute throughout.
- Course Content
- Training Considerations
- Related Courses
- To define, identify, assess and diagnose for dementia, including understanding its co-occurrence with other age-related illnesses
- To confidently risk assess dementia patients to promote independence
- Consider treatment and support approaches
- Understand the role of communication and adaptive communication styles
- Recognise the role of relationships in dementia care
Anyone who works in the social care field and comes into contact with customers that have dementia.
Participants should familiarise themselves with current procedures and guidelines in their current workplace.
The delegates will receive a certificate of attendance upon completion of the course.
Health & Safety
MCA and DoLS