Effective Minute Taking
Duration 1 day
This course will help staff to go through a step-by-step approach to producing effective minutes for meetings from local up to board level, as well as HR disciplinary meetings. You will be given templates to help you produce structured agendas and take notes effectively. Practical exercises will help you build confidence and put ideas into practice.
This course aims to equip delegates with the skills to
- Save valuable time and gain confidence in your role as minute taker
- Effectively work in partnership with the chair and colleagues
- Recognise their own barriers to capturing key points
- Pick out key points from discussions
- Produce a clear and concise set of minutes
Methods of Delivery
The day will involve some trainer presentations but there will be a range of participative exercises, including paired and group work, practice in note taking, giving and receiving feedback.
- Course Content
- Training Considerations
- Related Courses
- Different types of minutes and writing styles and their purpose
- Setting an agenda and using an agenda in practice
- Improving your listening skills and using correct tone and professional language
- Sorting, selecting, and summarising information effectively
- Learning when to interject and other common problems
- Understanding confidentiality and data protection
Those wishing to improve their skills in producing effective minutes for meetings-from local up to board level-as well as HR and disciplinary meetings.
You may want to bring a sample of minutes you have produced to review and refer to on the day.
Upon completion of the course, the delegates will receive a certificate of attendance.
Chairing Meetings Confidently
Professional Communication Skills