Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH)
Duration 1 day
Principles of COSHH is a stand-alone level 1 qualification, which complements the CIEH Health & Safety programme. It is aimed at those who use substances hazardous to health and introduces students to the hazards associated with those substances, the risks and controls available and what to expect from COSHH assessment.
Successful completion will prepare students to look carefully at their work activities and contribute to the safer use of hazardous substances in co-operation with their managers and supervisors.
- Definition and types of substances hazardous to health in the workplace
- Health effects of hazardous substances and their causes
- COSHH assessments and control options
- Responsibilities imposed by the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002
Methods of Delivery
This course contains both practical and theoretical elements, so participation is shared between the trainer and the delegates. Course handouts are used for reference; there is also a PowerPoint presentation, flip chart work, group exercises, displays and demonstrations.
- Course Content
- Training Considerations
- Related Courses
- Be able to explain what is meant by the term 'substance hazardous to health' and give examples
- Understand how hazardous substances can cause ill-health and injury, giving examples
- State the different ways in which hazardous substances may be identified
- State the principles for controlling substances hazardous to health and apply these in a practical context
- Demonstrate a general understanding of the value and purposes of conducting a COSHH assessment and what employees can expect of such assessments
- Demonstrate an understanding of the main provisions of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulation 2002
This qualification is aimed at those who use substances hazardous to health.
Delegates should be aware of their workplace's Health & Safety policy and procedures.
Upon completion of the course, the delegates will receive a certificate of attendance.
CIEH Health & Safety
Emergency First Aid at Work