Health, Safety & Fire Awareness
This course will raise awareness of main principles of Health & Safety in the social care sector. It will allow delegates to develop their knowledge of fire safety measures and procedures required in all workplaces, which help minimise fire risks and enable safe evacuation.
Delegates will be made aware of their responsibilities under health and safety legislation together with practical information on basic fire-fighting.
- Relevant legislation; employer and employee responsibilities
- Risk assessment in the workplace
- The main risks and hazards to individuals in the workplace
- The importance of following safe systems of work, procedures and rules
- Hazards and controls in respect of occupational health and safety
- Dangers from fire
- Hazardous materials
- Combustion, the fire triangle and breaking the chain
- Fire fighting equipment
Methods of Delivery
This course contains both practical and theoretical elements, so participation is shared between the trainer and the delegates. Delegate resources support learning preview and review, and there is also a PowerPoint presentation, flipchart work, group exercises, displays and demonstrations. Delegates are encouraged to share their expertise, particularly those with relevant previous training.
- Course Content
- Training Considerations
- Related Courses
- Understand the importance of Health & Safety and Fire Safety risk assessments and delegates' responsibility in complying with them
- Become aware of the regulations governing Health & Safety and Fire Safety and to increase delegates' understanding of their role in ensuring these regulations are adhered to
- Identify safety signs and symbols in the workplace
- Recognise occupational hazards and the responsibility for reporting
- Understand the causes of fire and the ways to prevent them
- Be able to use available fire fighting equipment correctly
- Be made aware of the importance of safe working practice
- Gain knowledge of their company's evacuation policy
This training is relevant to anyone working in the social care sector.
Delegates should consult their workplace's Health & Safety Officer to be briefed on any issues specific to their workplace, which they require guidance on. They should also familiarise themselves with the fire safety procedures of their workplace.
Delegates will receive a certificate of attendance upon completion of the course.
Health & Safety
Emergency First Aid