Duration 1 day
Central Training's Performance Management course aims to equip candidates with the skills to recognise what is meant by performance and underperformance and understand the importance of overt and articulated standards. The course will also focus on the importance of giving feedback to staff (positive and negative), how to give feedback assertively and capture feedback given. The candidates will have the opportunity to practise SMART objectives and discuss tools for a performance improvement plan. Finally, the trainer will cover the key signs of a performance issue caused by aptitude, ability or attitude.
This course aims to equip candidates with the skills to
- Recognise what is meant by performance and underperformance
- Understand the importance of overt and articulated standards
- Appreciate the importance of giving feedback to staff (positive and negative)
- Know how to give feedback assertively and capture feedback given
- Recognise the key signs of a performance issue and/or be over/under-managed
- Respond to issues caused by aptitude, ability or attitude
- Avoid stress and burnout in managers
- Develop a formal performance improvement plan
- Produce SMART objectives
Methods of Delivery
The trainer will use a mixture of presentations, PowerPoint, flip chart, group discussion, role-play, case study, small group work and handouts.
- Course Content
- Training Considerations
- Related Courses
- Performance management: definitions and standards
- Manager's role in observing, monitoring and giving feedback
- Giving positive feedback
- The impact of positive feedback on well-being
- Key signs that someone may have a performance issue
- Ability, aptitude and attitude in terms of managing performance issues
- The role of the performance improvement plan
Managers who wish to refresh or enhance their skills; those about to move into management; anyone who is currently in a senior role within a team.
Delegates should familiarise themselves with their current employer's practices around performance management.
The delegates will receive a certificate of attendance upon completion of the course.
Supervision & Appraisal Skills
Delegation & Time Management